Are you a student in either Journalism or Sport Management/Administration with a drive to become the next big sports writer? Are you looking for a way to gain some hands-on experience while you complete your degree and bolster your resume?
Well, we have just the thing for you!
At College Court Report, we are looking to expand our team, and we want you to be a part of it! We know first-hand how hard it can be to find ways to gain meaningful experience in your field during your undergraduate degree, which is why we decided to expand and focus our efforts on students!
We are looking for individuals who have an interest in sport, specifically basketball, but are open to anyone with an interest in sport journalism.
The plan is to have at least one applicant from a particular institution cover the men’s and/or women’s basketball teams, starting in the off-season and into the 2016-17 season. If there are multiple qualified applicants from any one school, the plan is then to have one cover the women’s team and one the men’s, or have the individuals collaborate on both.
In the off-season, a review of the 2015-16 season, draft profiles, and general player news (transfers, recruiting, etc.) would be the main focus. During the season, injury reports, game previews, game recaps, and opinion pieces would become the priority.
School is the first priority, and we would never ask for someone to put writing for the site ahead of their school work. With that said, we are looking for serious applicants and people who are willing to put in the work to gain experience.
Below are a few writing guidelines for CCR. Take a read over, and if this sounds like an opportunity that would interest you, fill out the brief application at the bottom!
As a writer, one should:
– Have experience in writing.
– Be creative when thinking of topics to write about!
– Be familiar with the ins and outs of NCAA basketball (both men’s and women’s would be considered an asset).
– Be able to write several articles per month, of various lengths.
– Knowledge of AP style is preferred.
– Be yourself! We will give you the freedom to write about what you would like, as long as it’s backed with solid, accurate research and the spelling and grammar are correct. You can do GAME PREVIEWS, GAME RECAPS, OPINION PIECES, HEADLINES, ETC…basically, whatever your heart desires!
***Please note, writers are not paid here at CCR! However, it can be used as a platform to gain more journalism experience in the sporting industry!***
Also, this doesn’t necessarily mean we will expand at all! We are simply considering our options as we look to increase our overall coverage in the 2016-17 NCAA basketball season!
We will take roughly 72 hours to review your application before reaching out to you.